Saturday, December 26, 2009
i finished this purse for my stepdaughter. it was out of amy karol's bend the rules sewing and i thought it was easy and fun. as you can see i did not stray out of the lines. i will branch out the next time i make this with different markings and fabrics. it was fun and i am pleased with the result. very roomy purse. larger than "the everything bag" out of seams to me.
i am very excited about finishing the last of the projects for christmas because i want to start on all of the quilts i have been hoarding. i am especially excited about the release of the "gee's bend" quilt fabrics and kits. i have ordered and will be starting on one right away. i am pushing all of my other projects back because of this. the history behind these quilts is simply amazing. the books are fascinating. they even have a childrens book that is so adorable. they can be found on amazon here.
they are fascinating to view. this collage belongs to blogger oh liza jane. i just can't get my mind off these quilts.
remember for those of you participating that the new years challenge is closing in. i will NOT be winning as i am no where close to where i thought i was and i am blogging now instead of sewing. i am off to sew .....so....i can begin on the NEW projects that have been in my head for months.
love to all,
some of you could not even meet with family for christmas due to weather (i am sorry.) in the end, i feel it was a wonderful year.
i feel very blessed and i hope each and everyone of you feel an inkling of how i do. my favorite present? my marriage of course. see previous post on that matter.
second would have to be this....the above snowstorm resulted in the loss of our previous vehicle.
yep, i have an awesome husband...and if that weren't enough
i got this...
thanks ashley from film in the fridge for the photo.
on a different note. i do not have the pictures to reflect my favorite face shots of people i gave things to. i have two. the beatles quilt went over wonderfully.....and zoe was pleased with her stocking.
my daughters quilt was and still is stuck in the blizzard
my son opened his early and pretended he didn't. (i left it there thanksgiving for him to open on christmas) he got the jedi robe. he was very happy about it though. my sister and brother in law were happy with the navajo vessell i found in a great antique mart on my way back from oklahoma.
my husband got his gifts over the entire month of december because i can't wait...i have to give it right then....he is also happy with the jeep. especially since he wrecked the explorer.
merry christmas everyone!
Thursday, December 17, 2009
Sunday, December 13, 2009
those of you close to me have known what roads i have traveled to get where i am today. there have been many hurdles along the way.
in the last few years of my life something wonderful and magical happened to me and changed my entire life. i was given a gift i do not feel worthy of. it was the gift of true, unabandoned love that was beyond anything i had believed existed.
i can only hope for every person on this planet that they can or will find what i found. it is what i believe we are here for. to find our way, through love, to spread goodness in every way to all people we meet.
i met that one person who is by my side accomplishing this with me.
i love him like no other.
i married him this weekend.
this was the most magical weekend of my life. it was the most perfect and beautiful ceremony i have ever attended. our vows, not written by us, were so perfect it was like everything else about us....they were magical. they are too long to blog but if you would like them i will be happy to send them to you, just ask. i will end this blog with an excerpt from these vows.....
from the book Gift from the Sea by Ann Morrow Lindberg. "The Winged Dance"
"A good relationship has a pattern like a dance. The partners do not need to hold on tightly, because they move confidently in the same pattern. To touch heavily would be to arrest the pattern and check the endlessly changing beauty of unfolding. There is no place for the possessive clutch, the clinging arm, the heavy hand, only the barest touch in passing. Now arm in arm, now face to face, now back to back-it does not matter which because they know they are moving to the same rhythym, creating a pattern together, and being invisibly nourished by it. The dancers who are perfectly in time never destroy the winged life in each other or in themselves."
thank you for listening. have a wonderful weekend and holiday season.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Friday, November 20, 2009
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
happy quilting girls! ...and a few guys!
some of the quilt blocks i am referring to can be found in ashley's photostream at film in the fridge here http://www.flickr.com/photos/27953607@N05/4014402762/in/photostream/
Sunday, November 8, 2009
i would love to participate. the online quilting community is getting larger and i am getting involved more but i have not found a swap that is not already closed.
shoot me an email or comment on my blog if you have any info.....thanks!!!!!
Friday, November 6, 2009
first and foremost i cannot make a decision to save my life. i have so many ideas that i cannot land on anything for very long. this does not make for a productive sewing studio. i see quilt after quilt, darling clothes, bags, etc. etc. to motivate me but when i get the fabric out i can circle it for hours worrying i will "lose" something in the design. basically, i can procrastinate better than anyone.
secondly, i have friends and family requesting items. these might not necessarily be the things i want to make so most of my really fun projects (in my head) are on hold.
jacquie, at tallgrass prairie studio has issued a challenge on her blog for the new year. she is challenging all of us to finish all UFO's you wish to enter by the first of the year. i think it is a great idea so if you haven't found her blog yet you can link through mine to join in this effort. there is a prize but the prize for me would be to finish the 17 UFO's that i have at this time. yes, seventeen....i have no idea.
1. i am hand quilting one rather large quilt "the earthy S quilt" by kaffe fassett.
2. i need to back and bind the brocade velvet throw from the "glorious patchwork" book of kaffe fassett. i couldn't help that one. it was a challenge and it looks just like my mother. she is not a regular snuggly quilt type person.
3. i need to start the whirlygig garden quilt by kaffe fassett as a gift. *it appears i am a kaffe fassett fan but i did not think i was. i do not usually collect his fabric but these particular quilts did pull me in. some of the reds in his new line are just beautiful....anyway.
4. The wool jedi sith robe. the fabric weighs a ton. the pattern is "the real thing" this is for my son. he wants it badly.
5. i need to finish machine quilting and bind the "nest" quilt. it is a gift and it is almost done.
6. i am piecing a quilt for my stepdaughter. she has a newfound obsession with the Beatles and found a line of Beatles fabric. the blocks are done and now i am working on sashing.
7. i have my daughters tiny roses quilt semi planned. i have all the fabric but i am still circling it waiting for the perfect way to piece it. she is wanting the "feel" of a comforter she had as a child. it was a laura ashley rosebud and pink ticking fabric. i am trying...hard. it is hard.
8. i have my son in laws vintage star wars quilt to begin. i have worked long and hard to find the fabric from star wars, the empire strikes back and the return of the jedi. these were obtained from ebay, old sheets to make into a new quilt. i have no idea. they are on the design wall right now.
9. two unfinished birdie slings. i had to stop when my old sewing machine bogged down with the interfacing. i now have the wonderquilter and they should be fine....i am sure my friends have given up on those.
10. 3 amy karol "bend the rules sewing" linen bags...so adorable...and requested. i ran short on linen for the lining and am waiting on that.
11. 2 "I'll take one of everything" bags from anna maria horners book "seams to me." also on request.
12. jelly roll quilt with urban couture for my friend. have not started
13. finish the tiered skirt out of "sew what skirts" that is a gift.
this does not count the 3 wonderland quilts and multiple others i cannot decide on and many, many more out there in "concept only land".
i just inventoried my fabric stash and it is lacking some luster. i am on restriction....darn it, so it will be slow going. i also will be in the middle of replanning the sewing room. i don't think i am utilizing my space well enough. okay, okay.....i will leave you with this link. grab the button top right or link below and join in!
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Friday, October 30, 2009
i thought the costumes this year were really good. it looks like parents dug into the pocketbook. my faves were the giant skull with the eyeballs that bounced around on springs....couldn't stop laughing at him....and the winter princess...who was cloaked in white fur and gold brocade...really beautiful. you can view some of these on my flickr page by clicking here http://www.flickr.com/photos/tulsagirl/sets/72157622569695095/detail/ or the flickr badge on the sidebar.
i hope everyone had a wonderful halloween,